Our combined Children’s Theatre of Elgin / Fox Valley Theatre Company is looking forward to presenting Mashup: When Songs Collide, an original music review that combines songs of different generations and genres. There will be a significant amount of dancing, and we are anticipating having more than 60 unique vocal parts for this show!
Performers will be divided into the following age groups:
- Yellow Group: 2nd – 4th grade in fall 2018
- Green Group: 5th – 7th grade in fall 2018
- Blue Group: 8th – 9th grade in fall 2018
- Red Group: 10th grade in fall 2018 through 20 years old
Mashup: When Songs Collide
Who may audition: Anyone in 2nd grade through 20 years old
Important note: Parents should register their children as being the school grade they will be in THIS FALL. For this show, 1st graders may audition since they will have completed 1st grade by the time the show goes on stage.
When: Tuesday and Wednesday, April 10 & 11, 2018*
Check in between 6-8:30 pm. Come either night to audition, whichever is most convenient for your family. We are asking for students from 2nd to 4th grade to check in before 7 pm.
We have multiple rap parts in this show. As such, in addition to the vocal part of the audition, performers wanting to be considered for these parts, at their option, can prepare a 30-second rap to perform at auditions.
*If you are not able to audition on April 10 or 11, a video audition will be accepted. Information about where to send the video link will be provided here soon.
Where: Elgin Community College Arts Center, Building H, 1700 Spartan Drive, Elgin, Illinois
Free parking next to and across the street from the building. Enter through the main doors (the building is round and have a large, red triangle jutting out from the front) and check in.
What to bring:
1) Sheet music for the accompanist
2) A printed copy of the registration receipt. Print it out at the completion of your registration, from your email receipt, or return to this page and login below, select the student and show and the student receipt printout will appear. Expect to wait an extra 20-30 minutes in line if you don’t register before you come and/or don’t bring your printed registration receipt.
Audition Expectations – Mashup: When Songs Collide
Please review the information on the Auditions page to understand our expectations and be prepared.
Rehearsals and time commitment
Rehearsals begin on Monday, April 23, 2018 and continue Monday through Thursday evenings basically 6:00-9:30 pm through tech week. We will make every effort to ensure that younger students will be released earlier during rehearsals in April and May. No rehearsal on Memorial Day May 29. Rehearsals during tech week may run until 10:00 pm.
Mandatory attendance dates and times are below:
- Tech week evenings: June 18 – 21, 2018
- Six weekend performances: Fridays & Saturdays June 22, 23, 29, & 30 at 7:30 pm; Sundays, June 24 & July 1 at 2:00 pm
Committee work CTE is able to offer affordable theatre experiences to cast members, thanks to our parent volunteers. As such, we’ll need all parents/guardians to assist with 20-30 hours of committee work during the course of a show. Committee selection occurs during the registration process. After the show is cast we will work with committee members to learn and carry out their duties. We do our best to place volunteers where they request but reserve the right to reassign to where they are needed most.
Cost of participation
Fees: $262 (NOTE: ECC just raised its tuition to $138; the balance is CTE fees & show t-shirt)
Cast members will be required to wear jazz shoes during rehearsals. As it gets closer to show time, cast members may also need a basket to hold their costume items and props and their own make-up and hair supplies. Information about other costume needs for each group will be provided after rehearsals have begun.
If student is cast but drops out, CTE/FVTC staff must be notified by noon of the Monday following the first scheduled rehearsal to receive a refund. For this show, that date would be April 30.
A limited number of fees scholarships are available based on financial need. All scholarship applications are due by the end of auditions.
Codes of Conduct and Terms
During the registration process, parents/guardians and cast members are expected to read and signify their commitment to comply with the CTE Codes of Conduct. Violation of the codes may lead to cast member’s immediate removal from the show and/or jeopardize further participation.
Cast list and mandatory meeting
The cast list will be posted on our website as soon as it is finalized.
The mandatory parent meeting is on Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:30 pm. Doors open at 6:00 pm for payments and questions.
Participation fees are due IN FULL at this meeting along with additional required paperwork. Make checks payable to “Children’s Theatre of Elgin.” Attendees will be able to meet the production staff and ask questions and receive a packet of important information related to the show.
Questions about auditions or the show? Contact producer David Comings at 708-638-0163 or David.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to register? Go for it!
ALL registrations must be completed by parents/guardians or adult auditioners ages 18 and older.
New to CTE? Set up an account today! (below)
Returning to CTE? Please edit your account to add some information required by our grantors, THEN register to audition.
This step is also important in updating your contact information so we can keep cast families informed about schedules, etc.
Setting up a family account with CTE
- Click on instructions button below for details on how to set up an account. Questions or problems? Email CTEelgin@hotmail.com or call 847-214-7152.
- Create your account. Save your username and password for future use.
- Add students. Select “Add existing student” if they’ve EVER been in a CTE show or workshop; select “Add a new student” if they’ve NEVER participated before.
Register for the audition
- Select a student from your family account and complete the registration process.
- Print out the registration receipt at the end OR print your email registration receipt and bring it to the audition. We need the paper copy at the audition.
- To retrieve your registration receipt, click on the “Log in and register now” button, select student and show again, and the receipt will pop back up for you to print.
- Expect to wait an extra 20-30 minutes in line if you don’t register before you come and/or don’t bring your printed registration receipt to the audition.
Best wishes on a great audition!
CTE eNews updates
Subscribe to our CTE eNews so we can notifty you when registration opens up for each show!